CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 27, 2011

Just Call Me June Cleaver!

I was so born in the wrong era!  I came to this realization as I ran around the house in my apron making icing and working on my new to me sewing machine.  If you know me you know I'm in love with diner motif, glittery red vinyl, and '60's Mustangs! 


If I had my way I'd drive a '67 Mustang fastback during the week and a '65 Mustang Convertible on the weekends!

I'm in LOVE!!!!

Who knew you could be in so love with two things at once!
Any way I digress, cake class is coming up in two days and I made my icing so I can ice my cake tomorrow night.  The last night of cake class is putting ribbon roses on an already iced and smoothed cake.  The icing part I have down, it's the ribbon roes that are the issue.  I'm doing something wrong and I can't decide if it's my consistency of the icing or the pressure I'm using on the pastry bag.  But either way I'll work it out in class Wednesday night.  This weeks project is a white cake with a hint of banana flavoring and banana flavored buttercream.  Yummy!

Butter cream is an easy icing to make it just depends on what you want to do with it that gets tricky.  The below recipe is for stiff consistency buttercream which is used for making roses.

1 cup shortening
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon flavoring (vanilla, almond, butter, banana, etc)
1 lbs powdered sugar
pinch of salt (optional)

Cream the shortening, water, and flavoring until smooth at medium speed.
Blend in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time mixing well between additions.
 Yields 3 cups.

The salt is used to cut the sweetness if you use salt and are coloring your icing dissolve the salt in the 2 tablespoons of water before adding to the recipe.

Medium Consistency icing is used for leaves etc, add 2 tablespoons water

Thin Consistency icing is used for icing the cake, add 3-4 tablespoons water

So after I got my icing completed and practiced a few roses I turned my attention to my new sewing machine.  I (actually Momma) found it in a used furniture store downtown.  It's a Domestic Rotary Series 153, from what I can find the 153 Series was made between 1946-1953.  I found a manual and got started getting it ready to use.


I still need to get some 3-n-1 oil but I did fill the grease cups after I called Daddy to make sure that when the manual said Petroleum Jelly, that petroleum jelly today was the same as petroleum jelly of yesterday!  I thought it was but I wanted to be sure.  It actually runs good and I'd hate to screw it up before I got to use it.  I did get it threaded but the last step has me confused.  Something about taking the needle down and making a loop and moving the thread to the left.  I'm sure Momma knows what the manual is talking about.  I'll have to have her over soon!



The cabinet that the machine is in is great shape, not sure if it's the original one or not but I like it either way!

Time to get sewing!

Bye y'all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment